Anything I write that has to do with writing will be in From Pico's Pen, my author's blog. Everything that doesn't fit any of the sites I write on will be here. This is my practice. I could have kept it private and farmed out the good stuff but I found my readers like too much of it to do that. It isn't a diary because there are things I keep to myself but you can learn a great deal about me from the randomness you will find here.

Thursday 22 January 2015

Duty Calls


There is a big stack of cut logs to be chopped with my name on it outside. Because of my work shift today I'm not going to have a lot of time to write.

Firewood is a chore than has to get attended to regularly because otherwise it isn't very warm inside and right now it is very cold outside and colder than I like inside. I'd really like to get the chainsaw out and take down a few more dead trees and have the gang cart back the cut logs. Not enough time today though. Besides that Brandon has been sick and the rest of the gang is feeling a bit under the weather. The last thing I want to do is cut them and leave them out in the bush. They get covered in snow that way and won't benefit us until next winter.

Incidentally chopping wood is easier when the temperature is well below freezing. The maul doesn't get stuck in the wood. If it penetrates the log, the log splits, no halfway about it.

2 comments:

  1. We generally try to keep our wood supply at least a year or two ahead of what we need, that way the supply of burnable firewood isn't dependent on whether or not the weather has been decent for outdoor work (I actually spent quite a bit of time this week stacking wood that was felled last summer, split last month and because of where I am stacking it will be burned next winter).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ideally that's where I'd like to be, however, my chainsaw wasn't working during the summer and I didn't have the money to get it fixed. The dead tamarack trees here are ideal seasoned firewood just ripe for the taking.

    ReplyDelete